Skip over navigation

Listening to Each Other in Australia and Beyond

Posted on April 03, 2012

Tags: access to care dental profession


Cite this as: J Can Dent Assoc 2012;78:c36


I would like to congratulate the authors of the "Listening to Each Other" article1 on the work they are doing with underprivileged patient populations. Evidence in Australia suggests that only 39% of Australians are regularly accessing general and preventive dental care. Obviously, the cost of care is a major factor in the less than ideal attendance of the other 61%. But there are also many other factors, and often these factors all seem to mutually reinforce each other, especially in less privileged populations.

"Listening to each other" is a great idea. I came up with a related concept of an initial "find out appointment" which invites the dentist or oral health professional to ask patients attending for checkups a series of questions and to share stories. This is followed by an examination, then a chat between dentist and patient (if he or she is interested) in order to achieve a shared understanding of what should happen next.

I believe your work is universally applicable and has global significance, and I can't think of anything more important. Keep up your great work.

Dr. Bruce Simmons
Alice Springs, Australia

Reference

  1. Lévesque MC, Bedos C. "Listening to each other": a project to improve relationships with underserved members of our society. J Can Dent Assoc. 2012;77:c20.


Comments:

 

Name:*

Email:*

Comments:*

Please type the characters you see in the picture below.


All fields marked with an asterisk * are mandatory.

Comments submitted in response to articles may be published in the print JCDA.

The Journal of the Canadian Dental Association reserves the right to review, edit, refuse or delete any comment.